Feasts of Ginbot 25
✞✞✞On this day we commemorate the Departure of Our Mother Saint Salome and the Feast of the Oil of Chrism (The Holy Myron)✞✞✞
✞✞✞In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, one God. Amen!✞✞✞
=>There is none from the 36 Holy Women whom were chosen by Our Savior Jesus Christ during His ministry that served or received honor as St. Salome. She was the only person, next to Our Lady, who did not depart starting from His conception to His ascension.
✞And if asked how that came to be, it was as follows. St. Salome’s mother was called Mary and she descended from the Hose of Aaron. And her father was the Honorable St. Joseph the Elder (the Betrothed). St. Salome and Our Lady were daughters of sisters (cousins).
✞St. Elisabeth also had the same kind of kinship. The mothers of the three (Hannah, Mary and Sophia) were sisters as they were the daughters of Matthat and Hermela.
✞✞✞Some things about Our Mother St. Salome✞✞✞
1. She has properly raised the sons of Joseph the Elder (her brothers).
2. When Our Lord was born, she was in Bethlehem. And since she thought that the birth, which Our Lady gave, was like that of other women and touched her, her hands were charred. And because she asked for forgiveness and touched the Lord, she was healed.
3. When the Mother of Light fled, she also took flight with her saying “Whatever happens unto you, let it also happen unto me”. And so she was thirsted with Our Lady, was saddened because of her sorrow and has wept with her. Accordingly, she has partaken of her suffering for 3 years and 6 months.
✞When a thorn pierced Our Lady, she used to remove it for her. And when she was hurt by obstacles, she used to clean her blood. And because the Lord had allowed her, she also used to hold Him on her side, carry Him sometimes on her back and she would kiss Him at other times.
✞How wondrous is it to hold, carry, and kiss the Divine! Honor and praise is worthy to our holy mother!
✞And after they returned from their flight, she lived with and served the Lord and the Virgin Mary for 25 years.
✞And then she followed Our Lord after His baptism when He started preaching. And He added her to the 36 Holy Women. And she spent the days and the nights where He did and learned for 3 years and 6 months. And she served accordingly.
✞And during the Passion of Our Lord, she was by His side and when He was crucified, she was at the Cross. And she was one of the women to whom the Light of His Resurrection was revealed to. And after the ascent of the Holy Savior and she received the Holy Spirit, she served the Church which was at the time of the Apostles.
✞And though her age had advanced, she was diligent in the service of the Gospel and the table. And after enduring many trials from her kinsfolk, the Jews, she departed in peace to her Creator on this day.
✞✞✞The Holy Myron✞✞✞
=>Also on this day, Our Lord Jesus Christ brought forth for us the Holy Ointment – Myron by which we are anointed.
✞During the flight of Our Lord, in a place where they rested from their exhaustion in Egypt, He took the rod of Joseph, cut it into different pieces, brought about a spring of water through His wisdom, watered [them] and made them into big trees. And there, He made to spring forth the Ointment of the Myron which is also called as the Ointment of the Balsam.
✞And later when Our Lord’s sweat was washed, it was mixed together. Today, we and the Holy Vessels are anointed by this Holy Ointment.
✞✞✞ May Our God also place in us the grace which He indwelt in St. Salome.
✞✞✞ Annual feasts celebrated on the 25th of Ginbot
1. Our Mother St. Salome (One of the 36 Holy Women)
2. The Great Abba Heroda the Martyr
3. The 30,000 Martyrs (The Followers of Abba Heroda)
4. St. Cotylus/ Colluthus the Martyr of Antinoe
5. The Holy Ointment – Myron (Chrism)
✞✞✞ Monthly Feasts
1. St. Mercurius the Martyr
2. St. Thecla the Apostolic
3. St. Abakragoun the Martyr
4. St. Domadius El-Souriani (The Syrian)
5. Abune Abib (Abba Bula)
6. St. Abba Abu Fana the Righteous
✞✞✞ “And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. . .And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here”✞✞✞
✞✞✞ Salutation to God ✞✞✞
(Translated by Mhr. Esuendale Shemeles with the permission of Dn. Yordanos Abebe)